"I believe that what the ultrasound demonstrates is that your cervix is quite dynamic. However, with that being said, both the resting cervical length [of 3.27cm], as well as cervical length after fundal pressure [of 2.95cm], are still both normal, even if it is the low end of normal. The most reassuring sign from my perspective is the fact that there is still ample cervix above the level of the cerclage [that is, from the stitch to the internal os of the cervix which opens into the uterus]. I think you can maintain your current activity level and rest as often as you can as you have been doing. The decision regarding hospitalization will not be made strictly on the basis of cervical length, but will take into account membrane funneling. If we see membrane funneling close to or at the level of the cerclage then I would favor hospitalization. My hope is that this will not occur."
When he talks about membrane funneling, he is talking about the internal portion of the cervix from the internal os to the stitch/cerclage sewn around and through my cervix, opening up like a funnel or capital letter Y which would allow the amniotic membrane or bag of waters to sag into the funnel.
At 24wk5d with the girls, my total cervical length was 1.8cm, but from the internal os to the stitch, it was only 2 measly millimeters and funneled pretty much right to the stitch. And there was Baby A's bag resting in the funnel...which is why I was hospitalized.
Right now I am resting in knowing that he considers there to be "ample cervix" between the internal os and the cerclage and no funneling. Still, I don't think I am as optimistic as he is. I feel fairly confident we can make it to 30 weeks...I would be thrilled to make it to 32 weeks...and I would be absolutely over the moon to make it to 34 weeks.
We just have to wait and see...
No comments:
Post a Comment