Friday, October 29, 2010

16 + 2

It's been a pretty busy week for me. I've had a short outing each day and while I haven't felt too bad during the time I am away, I sure do feel it when I get home. The body is starting to feel the effects of no exercise and not being on my feet all day long, as it is accustomed to. Oh, how I wish I could be one of those pregnant women walking around, working, at yoga class, or on the treadmill at the gym. Some women just don't know how lucky they are to be able to do those things when pregnant. I would LOVE to be at work with my kindergarten class, enjoying the yoga studio, going for a long walk at the gardens, or lifting some weights. But, my little jaunts running quick errands will have to do.

That being said, I have a call in to a yoga instructor, who also happens to be an OB/Gyn, who also happens to specialize in women with pregnancy complications...in both her yoga instruction AND her medical practice. She was recommended by my OB and I plan to do a few sessions with her to see what poses are safe and how to support my body in each. I need to do something...SOMETHING.

It's not that I am feeling horrible...in fact, I'm feeling pretty good most of the time. I certainly have my good days and bad days...and even my good parts of the day and bad parts of the day. I am eager to start the 17p injections in two days...hoping that they will make a noticeable difference in the level of uterine bitchiness irritability. 

I did break down and take a belly shot the other day, but my OCDness wants to pick an outfit to wear for each belly shot...one I can wear each time to see the progression. Unfortunately, the indecisiveness on that particular outfit is blowing the whole deal. I just can't decide. I don't have that pretty round belly, so naked shots are out. My belly button is surrounded by this huge crater and it makes it look like I have this strange flat spot in the middle of my belly. When I had my laparoscopy back in November of 2004, they went through my belly button and it has never been the same since. 

And now for the highlight of my day...

I had an appointment with my peri today--my first cervix check. I will admit, during the last four weeks with NO ultrasounds I became quite comfortable with the unknown. Sometimes not knowing is just, well, easier to deal with. Today's appointment meant I had to face reality finally...to see and hear the facts, good or bad. 

Dr. I...well, I just love this man. When I walked in, he said, "Danna! I had no idea I was seeing YOU today...my favorite patient." And he gave me the biggest hug. I was ready to drop trow for the transvaginal ultrasound, but he said, "Let's do an abdominal one first and take a look at this miracle baby." I was so happy because that meant I didn't have to beg him for a quick look at the little one. And even better, he spent a really long time looking at the baby, oohing and awing over how amazing the development was for 16 weeks. He was able to see things that he says he typically can't see until 18 weeks...which he said is a GREAT sign.

When it came to checking my cervix (the last minute of the appointment, which is all that I was expecting), he was also very happy. It was measuring 3.76cm. Anything above 4cm is considered normal and not a concern at all. Since the cervix is so dynamic in nature, he said he will even take anything above 3.5cm as good.

Can that be? I, Danna Lewis, fell in the "good" category today? 

For me, that measurement is STELLAR. I've never had a measurement like that! The hope is that it will stay between 3.5 and 4cm. He said he starts to be a little concerned when it drops below 2.5cm...which is still longer than what my cervix was at this point in my pregnancy with the girls. He gets REALLY concerned when it goes below 1.5cm...at which point I was hospitalized with the girls.

We will see him again in two weeks for our big ultrasound to look carefully at the baby's anatomy and have another cervix check. I will also have my second trimester bloodwork done sometime between now and then, though he said with what he saw today, he doubts we have anything to be concerned about.

"This baby looks perfect, Danna...just perfect."

When all was said and done, he gave me another big hug and a peck on the cheek. He said that he still can't believe we are where we are considering our start and then said, "I thank God that I did ONE more ultrasound to be sure. I mean, to think we were almost ready to terminate two pregnancies and remove your uterus."

I still can't believe that was what we were facing so early on...

And yes, we thank God Dr. I did decide to do ONE more ultrasound...I can't quite imagine the alternative...



2 comments:

Devon said...

see, there are perks to being high risk. our doctors LOVE us!! glad you had a great ultrasound and peek of baby....

keep it up girlfriend!

and yea, 1 year later and my body is still a mess. a complete and utter mess. BUT i have my little girl sitting right next to me and so i can't *really* complain. that yoga instructor sounds awesome though! it'll be great, ya know, until the time comes when just getting up to go the bathroom gives you a string of contractions. ha!

seriously, you are doing awesome! keep it up! 36 weeks, here we come!

Alissa said...

Sounds like things are going well...hang in there, girl. By the way, what a wonderful doctor!! ((hugs))